The Great Debate is Over {unofficially}

The debate has been long and hard fought in my family.  Which is worse:  Childbirth or having a Kidney Stone?  Since I have been through childbirth 5 times, one being fairly recent, I have a pretty good memory of that experience.  With the kidney stone episode being less than a week past, I have to say I owe my Dad and my brothers an apology:  Kidney stone pain is equally excruciating as childbirth.  It is worse because unlike contractions, you don't get a thirty second break in between to breath and prepare for the next wave of pain.  However, I maintain my position that childbirth is much harder for a few reasons:  - You are pregnant for 9 months before you even get to that point {need I say more?}
- After the birth is over you still have tons of healing to do and are sore all over!  It is months before you can really fully function like you did before.  
-The birth is just the beginning - now you have someone else you get to care for FOREVER. {not saying this is a BAD thing, just that it is hard}
- Your body is now changed and will never again see its same form.  It's ugly.  Speaking for myself here, strictly myself. 

So that's it.  Props to my Dad and brothers who have suffered through multiple stones.  If you don't believe me - well, you should.  DON'T TRY IT - ok!  And if you were wondering what your week would be like if you spent it all in the hospital and if you did the kidney stone, kidney failure, pulmonary edema and bradycardia all in a matter of 5 days - let's just say I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN.  EVER.  take my word for it on that one. 

On a happier note, my kitchen floor is now clean.  Wish I could say it was because I did it.  Nope, all thanks to Aunt Sue! 

Lastly, since Madeline is always drawing up these nice little riddles for us to solve, I thought it would be appropriate to share them here in case I get stumped and need help.  Yes, I am fully aware that it is a bit odd that an 8 year old would rather draw riddles than ride her bike outside with her siblings, what can I say - Madeline is a truly unique, bright and beautiful child! 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you are home and all right! I couldn't believe it when Kurt sent me that email letting me know. Maybe now is a good time for a break from trauma...you think?! Sure hope you are recovering and all continues to go well with your little one. We must chat soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the riddles- I'm horrible at those. Glad you are recovering. We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure who fell off first, I would have jumped the heck off that pointy fence! So cute Maddie. :) Are kidney stones genetic? I hope this doesn't happen to you again Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yikes! glad you are home and hope you are feeling a LOT better.

    and your thoughts on pregnancy/childbirth? amen. especially the part about the post-baby body. i'm 4 weeks out and it isn't a pretty sight. (and probably won't get much better!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment