Reclaiming Myself




Happy New YEar! Wham, here it goes. A very long post. Feel free to run away now if you need to. This is more for me than anyone (we already knew that though) but here goes.
Happy new year!



Although my home looks like this



And this

I NEEDED some time to reclaim myself. I feel much better, and I am on a bit of a roll. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing but I'm not sleeping much or very well on account of all the wild ideas swimming around up there. ah. if only I had the time to execute all that I dream up!





just some cards

I love how my Christmas card display turned out this year. It has been fun to flip through!
This blanket is a bit on the wild side but I like how it turned out and I hope that baby Olivia likes it as well! It has been needing some love to get it finished for a while now so I am so happy to have been able to do it!

AND while i was crafting Christian did some crafting of his own, which he is so very proud of and it stands outside his door! There has been a lot of hammering going on in the basement!

oh. AND I wanted to share my current favorite recipe. I find myself making this delicious (and easy) dish over and over. My children eat it, we have leftovers that are great for tacos, sandwiches, or just plain eating, and it has great flavor! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Pulled Pork



First you mix up this rub and rub it into the rinsed pork roast. ( When I make up this I usually have enough to use it 3 or so times: use about 3TBS to rub on) Keep your mixture for up to 6 months in an airtight container.

2 TBS paprika
1 TBS groung red pepper
1 TBS kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. powdered garlic
1 tsp. powdered onion
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
Place in crockpot with 4-6 cups of apple cider (depending on the size of your roast) , 3-6 fresh rosemary sprigs and 2 sliced jalapeno peppers. lay the peppers across the top of the meat. I also use dehydrated jalapeno peppers and that works well too. You may want to pull the peppers off before serving, but so much of the 'hotness' cooks out of them that our family likes to mix them in and eat it all together!

I know it seems ludicrous to others - spending time slicing paper in crisp lines, sewing and watching the beautiful stitches punch through that pretty fabric, gluing buttons, flowers, and occasionally my fingers to more pretty paper, thumbing through endless photos, and in general stacking up countless craft items to be put away 'when I'm finished' on all areas of my work desk - all of this takes me back. Return to me. Reminds me that to create something fills up my spirit, reawakens my soul, allows me to breathe deeply again. Only now can I resolutely look ahead to getting the children back to school (preferably on time!), dentist appointments, piano, dance, karate, homework, reading logs (this I have noticed makes reading much less enjoyable!) you get the picture.... REAL LIFE!!!

I am happy that it is a new year. The past few years have been very painful. I still feel a lot of pain. I'm making my way through it. This year I am doing just ONE thing, every day, to make myself better. And by that I mean baby steps. Nothing huge, no big list to post here, just some heartfelt notes in my journals to remind me I need to practice becoming more of myself than I have been these past few years. A lot of me has been hidden under the pain. But I'm still here. This year I will be doing a lot of digging!
and lastly, I was scrapbooking and found this beautilful piece by Melody Ross and I LOVE it so much!



This year I am going to PRACTICE, every day, listening for what I need to hear. Maybe if you listen you will hear too! Happy New Year ~ may we all be better listeners!
xo
Emily Laurel - still sailing on

Comments

  1. So beautifully said, Em! You are so talented, and make such beautiful things. I'll join you in trying to listen more to the things that really matter. Love you, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pork roast looks wonderful and I love anything that cooks in the crockpot! Thanks so much for visiting yesterday and taking time to comment on my post. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I may be calling you about the pork. And I love you. You make the cutest stuff ever! Man, my two older sisters are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented Emily. I LOVE to see all that you have created. This is a beautiful post.:) I love your goal for the year. Mine this year is to feel more hope. Thanks for sharing your life with me. It makes me a better person. Glad you are in my family- Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. By taking time for yourself to create you aren't just doing what you want/need to do you are fulfilling a commandment. Remember Pres Ucthdorf's (sp?) talk at the Relief Society meeting in 2008? If not, look it up and read it. It's one of my all time favorites and a seriously good excuse to spend time making all those adorable/beautiful cards and scrapbook pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I express this frequently, but I loved every ounce of this post.

    Your creations are stunning and I love that you made the time for them. I really need to do the same.

    You are talented and really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW ... you have been busy scrappin! These are all so pretty. thanks for coming by my blog :)
    Yes my boys can be a BIG TIME HANDFUL! It's nice knowing I'm not alone lol!

    you have a cute little family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure Olivia will love her blanket!!! You are so amazing, you have more creativity in your pinky finger than I do in my whole body! Love all the Christmas pictures and thanks so much for sending a picture of the kids seperate!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment