A hole is to dig

I am so glad Savanna and I read this book together at bedtime last night.  We like to read together, trading off every other page.  It's funny how each of the children like to be read to in their own way.  Do you have this book?  If not, I highly recommend it.  My mom told me a few years ago that it is a classic and that we would enjoy it.  She was right.  We giggle every time we read it.  Remembering some of these pages helped me smile more today.  










I love books like this that remind us about the little joys of life.  We went to the library tonight for our family night activity (it was all I came up with today, ok?)  and walking around our library I was thinking about how much children'ts books seem to have changed.  Most of them are about LIFE or TV CHARACTERS or things people think kids should learn about.  I saw titles today like 'Sometimes Mommy gets angry' and 'I sit on the potty'.  Seriously?  It looks like junk to me.  Especially compared to so many classics we have here on our shelf.  I think I will share more of them here in the future.

This past week Savanna proudly pulled out (on her own!) tooth #2!  It bled like crazy for a long time and pronunciation is a bit of a challenge for now but Savanna was so happy to lose it on her own again!   The dentist told me his calls this the 'ugly duckling' stage because kids are missing so many teeth.  I went home thinking he is dead wrong, there is NOTHING ugly about this girl, with or without teeth!

Today I found something that I literally COULD NOT WALK AWAY FROM.  So shallow of me, and yet, no regrets!  I have for a few years now been collecting polka dot dishes.  When I realized the dinnerware I chose when we got married had been discontinued and that the replacement cost was up to about $52 per plate, I figured I needed to come up with another plan and soon!  I really dislike eating on melamene for some reason (which is funny because I eat on paper plates ALL SUMMER LONG to avoid doing dishes!) and so I started searching for some good plates that I loved.  And I fell in love with polka dots all over again.  I have a fun mismatched pile that I hope continues to grow faster than they get broken!  So when I saw these serving bowls today I thought PERFECT match!  Don't you love them?  THe larger one is ENORMOUS and I am excited to use it for something wonderful. 


I especially love that the inside of the bowl is a different color.  So fun!  And I thought they were SO reasonably priced, the huge bowl was $9.99 and the smaller one only $5.99  I LOVE THEM! 



Comments

  1. cute!! and that is a good price :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugly Duckling? I agree with you! She is a natural beauty with or without teeth. In fact, I love the toothless stage!

    Love the polka dots! I'm on the look out now and will think of you and smile when I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely book! I'll have to find that one.

    I feel the same way about most children's TV as you do about books. There's so little imagination -- instead they just get pounded with this script of how they are supposed to act in certain situations. We started watching Batman and Looney Toons just for a break from the insanity! And my kids' imaginations took an enormous leap forward when we did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that book looks so cute! i love old (classic) books too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment