The day and then the silver lining


Have you ever had a day where you go from elation and thrill to falling hard and fast to your face on the street?  Or going up and down in between all day long?
I really should not expect this to be any different when I have a night where my brain is going crazy and my hands are creating to keep up with the idea flow.   It feel so satisfying to be creative and alone and in the quiet of the night surrounded by little scraps of paper falling to the floor, photographs I love and striking fabric prints.  I continue in my undisturbed bliss until a little one awakes upstairs and needs a drink and a love and I discover it is 2am.  How did I come to this?  I am much too old to be pulling stunts like this. 
Alas, back to today. 
The morning was enjoyable as my friend Brandi and I took our newest creations into a store in Castle Rock to sell.  Barcoding everything turned out to be a bit more tedious than expected and before I knew it and we got out the door and on the way to the school I was 20 minutes late picking Christian up from kindergarten.  Which isn't so bad since I have only done this one other time this year, expect that I am in a carpool.  And his carpool buddy has a mother at home who I am sure is wondering what in the world is taking so long.  And did you know that the women at the office don't like you very much when you are late and they are sitting there with your child and his carpool buddy?  Well, I don't like it much either but it happened.  Moving on,
Uneventful fun for a few hours including lunch and playing outside even in the snow because it was above 50 degrees today and we are craving more sunshine.  Lunch.  A quick trip to the paint store to grab a few things I need to fill a customer order on painting some furniture.  Why did I think this would be easy and fast?   Suffice it to say that when I left the paint store, they were so glad I was leaving they carried my box out for me and waved goodbye with big smiles.  Emma yelling and leaving her shoes on the floor in the store all the while.  Charming. 
I was almost home from said paint store experience when I was deterred by a sign:  GARAGE SALE.  Oh my self control is gone at this point.  So rather than turning to my driveway, I push forward.  And I am so glad that I did.  Two wonderful things happened.  
1 - Emma fell asleep and now has stopped crying.  I often wonder, truly, how DOES one continue wailing at that volume and with such intensity for such a long period of time? 
2 - I found this awesome set of silver flatware.  I have been wanting silver for quite some time and have always found it outrageosly priced or online where I can't quite see what I am getting.  Check this out.  8 knives.  8 dinner forks.  8 salad forks.  16 teaspoons.  8 large spoons.  8 spoons from Brown palace hotel.  butter knife.  Small fruit forks (3) and 13 other serving pieces.  Amazing.  For $30.  I am thrilled.  






Now we are home for the remainder of the day and I wish I could say all the children got along great and were helpful and obedient and got their homework done.  However, that did not happen.  What did happen is that one child chose to use the restroom outdoors, on the sidewalk, out front.  Clearly we do not support or teach this habit.  I am perplexed.  Another child got very upset and dumped a large icy cup of water on Dad's head and down his back.  Another child came home with a not so great at school day report and needs to write a letter to the teacher.  Another child had an all out tantrum immediately following dinner and layed on the floor kicking and crying for about 20 minutes.  It wasn't our finest day.  Yet, it seems it was a defining day.  Mom and Dad kept calm and collected through these challenges and were able to fend off any raised voices or anger.  Mom and Dad seemed to be blessed instead to see what needs these children have that Mom so often misses and doesn't meet because I have all these fun plans and my brain is going until 2am.  This day left me feeling over challenged and under prepared, understanding and insight has come to me that I will act on in the morning as little ones wake earlier than they should and all want different items for breakfast, all at the same time.  Why is this so?  Well, because they are mine.  And I love them.  Deeply.  And I know that I have been loved through challenges and in the end it may be that very love that pulled me through.  So here's to applying some love to challenges this week and moving on....  And remembering that we always have silver linings, and sometimes they come in forms of a set of silver flatware for $30. 
Good night, keep sailing with me!

Comments

  1. Beautiful post, Em. Defining moments are special ones, even when they come in the midst of screaming children. You and Kurt are awesome. Keep it up! (And if you find more silver at prices like that will you sell it to me?) Good things happen at garage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I love your silver!!!!! Great post. Parenting is no walk in the park. The part about loving kids through their challenges-so inspiring. I have had 2 very interesting paint store experiences with Luke and Noah. So I had to laugh about Emma's meltdown. I think the lady who works at Sherwin Williams here would go hide in the back room if she saw us coming, that or lock the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading every post, though not commenting.

    You truly saw and recognized the silver lining. Inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a day! I do the same thing - awake at 2 but not sure why. There is something nice about being up when all is quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your thoughts! What a day! How blessed we are to find/recognize the little silver linings - and remember them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment