10 years

I guess when you are ten years old you are old enough to light your own candles.  Or so she told me.  So many thoughts have passed through my mind as I watched my oldest turn 10 this week.   The one thought that dominated has been this:  wow, have I really been a parent for 10 years now?  Shouldn't I know more, shouldn't I be farther along with my parenting skills?  Hmmm.

We had an American Girl Mystery party at a generous friends house (since we are homeless).  It was delightful.  We also got to have a fun birthday dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Sheffield's house.  She even got a special birthday phone call from Jamaica from Grandma and Grandpa Smith.  Now I am left with this very grown up girl who is teaching me a lot.  Being 10 can be hard.  Being the oldest and being 10 is even harder.  We love Maddie Jo so much and we are so thankful for her courage to lead our children.  We love her so.

She loved that the celebration lasted all weekend:  friday I brought treats in at school, saturday was the party, and sunday was the 'real' day.  It was also the children's primary program at church and she loved that.  It was a very fun weekend for her.
I enjoyed watching her interact with her friends and it made me proud of her to watch her at school and at the party.  She is a wonderful young lady. She tries so hard to always do things well and she succeeds.  I am happy I am her mom!

Comments

  1. Please tell Maddie happy birthday from us! Her cake is fabulous. Did you make it? xo Jen

    PS - I think you are an incredible mother. I have learned a lot about parenting over the years from you. Makes me sad we are so far away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat birthday idea! She is just beautiful and seems like such a neat girl.
    What are you doing for hotdog right now? Would you consider moving to Cache Valley? There are some great homes for sale in my neighborhood.

    Ten years old. Can you believe we've known each other for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is an amazing young lady ... with an amazing Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the calendar last night and realized we missed her birthday. So sorry. Tell her happy birthday for us. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is ten? proof that i am old.

    i'm glad she had such a nice birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment