Light No. 16

I was too exhausted last night to do anything but clean up the kitchen and crawl into bed.  What an excuse.  As if I'm not usually tired  :)
This past week was a good one.  Faye didn't sleep much at night which is taking its toll but she is growing and cute as ever and can get away with anything.
I was presented with a large bunch of wildflowers this week that is still shining brightly on my kitchen table, reminding me of thoughtful children.
This week I found myself reflecting more and more on what type of example I set for my children in all areas.  Do I shout around the house to find them or do I go and look for them and then talk to them softly like I ask them to do for me?  Do I try to offer to help them with tasks and challenges, so they will learn to offer help to others and to their siblings?  It's been a good reminder how much I really set the tone here in the home.  I have so many areas that need improvement.  At the same time, I am trying to "lighten up" a little more and not be so intense all the time about staying on schedule or picking things up or getting something done.  It's a tricky balance, yet one I know is important for me to learn so I will keep trying.  

Saturday offered the most successful soccer games yet and it was really fun to see both Clark and Emma running and kicking and having so much fun.  My parents came to watch Christian and Savanna at their football games and also brought us a set of the yard game Cornhole.  It has been a wonderful addition to the great weather and we have already loved having it to play.
The weather has been amazing.  Hot, beautiful -- so much light!   It means walks as a family in the evening, working in the garden and the yard, the smell of fresh cut grass, children sneaking outside rather than doing homework, popsicles, flowers, sprinklers and swimsuits.  It means later bedtime, ice cream cones, grilled chicken, watermellon and dirty feet.  It means a lot of dirty laundry and tired, happy children.  It means jumping on the trampoline and other varioius yard games and activities.  I love it.  I love the way the light filters through the trees and the way it's light when I get up in the morning now.  I love the light shining on the garden and flowers reminding me that small things can become great and that we all need light and time to become what we are meant to be.  

Here's to hoping that if I spend more time in the light I'll grow too. 
Sailing on, 
E


Comments