Worth Doing

This summer has been very busy.  Too busy.  I haven't kept up with the blog, the housework, the yardwork, my sewing, and pretty much everything else you can think of.  I've neglected a lot of things. We have been working so hard around here this summer to open up our Shaved Ice Trailer, which has been a dream of mine for about 8 years now.

I have learned a few things about this business venture.  It has been more work and taken more time than we ever imagined.  We had hoops to jump through (thank you, government regulations piled upon more regulations) that we didn't see coming and obstacles to overcome that we didn't see solutions for.  Kurt slaved away building me a beautiful little house of wheels to serve shaved ice out of.  All the while we helped plan a family reunion, helped plan girls camp, took a trip to Utah where the transmission of my van went out which led to another adventure entirely, and continued to work toward our new year of homeschooling my children.  I'm exhausted.  I've not spent the amount of down time just hanging out with my children that I would have liked to.  But we have learned a lot.

The main thing I've learned is that every good thing in life is 100 times more work than you ever
thought it would be.  BUT IT IS STILL WORTH DOING.

That's the trouble with our world sometimes.  That people have given up believing that it's worth it.  Well it is.  It's still worth it.  That's why I raise a family and that's why I opened Pure Bliss Shaved Ice this summer.  That's why I do laundry every day, dishes, cook meals and clean up messes.  Because although the work is hard and long and tiresome; it's rewarding.  I am saying that having my little business is as rewarding as my children?  No.  I am saying that if you see something in your future that you want but as you get closer to it you feel that it is more difficult to reach -- if that happens don't stop reaching.  You learn so much about yourself as your stretch that it makes the stretching worthwhile even if the end isn't exactly what you thought.

We are headed to the beach for family vacation.  I'm beyond excited to play with my children for a week with no work and no distractions.  Happy Summer's End!
Sailing on,
E

Comments

Post a Comment